So you want to hire Private Chef but understandably, you want to know how much it will cost! Here is an overview of “How much it Costs to Hire a Private Chef in New York City?”, the pricing includes several factors which we break down in the following article.
Once you hire a Private Chef like Yllan Laloum in New York, the Chef will help you explain all of these factors so that you can work together to best determine the budget for your upcoming event including Private Dinners, Brunches, Anniversary Parties, Bridal Showers, Small Weddings and Corporate Events.
How much is a Private Chef for a Night in New York?
Most Private Chefs in New York City provide Clients with a Price per Person, the Client Reimburses the Cost of the Groceries and we’ve outlined other incremental costs that will be factored into the cost of the evening. The cost of hiring a Private Chef for a Night in New York depends on the number of people that you plan on hosting for your upcoming event.
What is included in the Price Per Person when you Hire a Private Chef in New York?
The Price per Person includes:
- 3-Course, 4-Course, 5-Course Meal? The Cost Per Person is determined by how many courses the guest would like to serve their guests – is it a 3-course meal, a 4-course meal or perhaps a 5-course meal? Most Private Chefs include a 3 course meal, which includes an appetizer, main course and a dessert. The Cost Per Person will be incremental if you add additional courses or if you would like to include items like passed hors d’oeuvres for a cocktail party or need a cake bake? Also, if the Chef has to make additional dishes beyond the set menu for other guests, this might incur an additional fee.
- Menu Planning with Client: The Chef will provide sample menus and seasonal inspiration to help the Client determine the type of food they would like. The Chef will work closely with the client to accommodate their vision, including their favorite foods as well as any dietary restrictions and allergies. The Menu planning usually involves a few revisions until the menu is finalized.
- Shopping: The Chef will spend several hours shopping for the best local Ingredients which might include going to the Grocery Store, Farmers Market, Butcher and the Fish Market.
- Meal Preparation: Preparing the Meal on Site at the Clients Home several hours before dinner is served and it also might include some preparing in advance prior to arriving on site. Preparing in advance could entail marinating a Beef Bourgeon for 12-15 hours or Baking a Dessert like Crème Brûlée that needs to set a few hours before. Almost everything is made from scratch by the Chef – that means hand-rolled pasta, veal stock reductions made several days in advance and beautiful sauces.
- Table Setting: The Private Chef will set the table for the evening.
- Serving the Guests: When the event has less than 10 people, the Chef usually takes care of serving the meal to the meal to the guests as well.
- Cleaning: The Private Chef will leave your place spotless, they will clean the kitchen so that it is left exactly how they found it upon their arrival.
How much will the cost of the groceries be when you Hire a Private Chef?
The Cost of Groceries fluctuates based on the number of people who will be in attendance as well as the number of courses being served. The Cost of the Groceries are also determined by the type of protein selected by the client, for instance, if you choose Lobster vs. Chicken, Salmon v.s Dover Sole, Wagyu Beef v.s Flank Steak that will be reflected in the price of the groceries. Other food that will affect the costs could be if the client would like organic produce or is requesting luxury ingredients such as Truffles or Caviar incorporated within the menu.
Private Chefs work often with the same purveyors throughout the year and as a result of that relationship, they are given preferred pricing that they can then pass along to their clients. The Chef will provide you will a ball park for the grocery costs in your initial call and then again once the menu has been set. The Chef will also provide the Client will all of the receipts from the grocery shopping for reimbursement.
What other extra costs might be incurred when you Hire a Private Chef in New York?
While the Price per Person as well as the Cost of the Groceries will be the majority of the event cost. Here are some additional costs that also need to be factored in:
- Cost of Travel: The Chef will request a reimbursement for the travel to and from the event, as well as any additional travel required to source items like the groceries.
- Hiring Additional Help: Depending on the event, the Chef can usually help to source other waiters, waitresses, bartenders and cleaners to help elevate the event experience which the Client will then pay for.
- Florals & Event Décor: If needed, most Private Chefs can help curate and source items for beautiful tablescape including Florals, Printed Menus, Vases, Candles, Napkins, Chargers and Tablecloths.
- Additional Kitchen Items: If needed, a Chef will source items from the local kitchen store so that he or she has the necessary kitchen items for the menu. For example, if Chocolate Lava Cake is on the menu – it might be necessary to purchase ramekins for this dish.
- Wine Pairings: The Chef can recommend a wine pairing that goes with each course for the Client to purchase.
- Party Rentals: The Chef can either source these items or recommend vendors for the client to rent dishes, serving dishes, wine glasses as well as tables, chairs and table clothes.
Do you Tip a Private Chef?
Tipping a Private Chef is not always necessary but is always appreciated. Your private chef will do their best to deliver the best culinary experience for you and your loved ones so that you will enjoy your trip even more.
Hiring a Private Chef is easier and more affordable than you think. When you consider the numerous problems they solve, the benefits far outweigh the cost. When you head out to a restaurant – you need to factor in paying for a babysitter, paying for the parking and paying for the wine which is usually triple the price than what it retails for at your local wine store.
All in all, working with a Private Chef in New York lends itself an unforgettable gastronomical experience in the privacy of your own home. The Private Chef will always work with you to best accommodate your budget and tailor the event to your liking.